From beloved beach towns to far-flung properties worth traveling to, Mexico has no shortage of beautiful villas and resort destinations. Here, we help you choose the best Mexican beach location for your next south-of-the-border retreat.
Contact Haute Retreats to plan a beach getaway. Our trip designers can match you with the right villa, plan great meals and special activities like private dinners and boat charters.
Hipster Hideaway: Sian Ka’an Biosphere – Casa Ikal
Located within the Sian Ka’an Biosphere, Casa Ikal has long been a favorite of eco-conscious travelers in search of life’s simple pleasures: a great climate, a perfect beach, simply prepared seafood and a strong margarita.
- What Makes It Unique: Beautiful, swimmable beaches and a dynamic food scene.
- Where to Stay: Casa Ikal, Casa Cantarena
- Top Activities: Visiting Mayan ruins and cenotes (underground lagoons/rivers), snorkeling, kite-surfing, swimming with whale sharks, yoga.
- Keep in Mind: Ongoing land disputes in Tulum have resulted in the recent evictions of several resorts and businesses.
- Getting There: Fly into Cancun Airport, a 90-minute drive from most of the villas.
Upscale Getaway: Punta Mita – Casa Tres Soles
Known for its surf breaks and golf links, Punta Mita is an upscale resort complex that appeals to beach lovers with family-friendly hotels, an Aman-influenced hideaway and sprawling villas.
- What Makes It Unique: Incredible surfing and rental villas that provide guests with privacy as well as all the amenities of a large resort.
- Where to Stay: Casa Tres Soles, Casa Tau, Casa Estrella, Casa del Faro..
- Top Activities: Surfing, visiting Sayulita, exploring and zip-lining in the jungle, golf, tennis.
- Keep in Mind: With the exception of excursions to the nearby beach chic town of Sayulita, visitors to Punta Mita will spend the majority of their time at their villa, but there are many activities that you can do if you like outdoor sports.
- Getting There: Fly into Puerto Vallarta International Airport, a forty-five-minute drive away.
Posh Family-Friendly Retreat: Riviera Maya
A gorgeous stretch of white-sand beaches and turquoise Caribbean water, The Riviera Maya, offers exhilarating eco-adventures and Mayan ruins, extends from just south of Cancun to the eco-chic beach town of Tulum.
- What Makes It Unique: Calm seas, beautiful beaches and abundant cultural activities.
- Where to Stay: Villa Mariola, Casa Chakte, Casa Ixchel, Yakunah….
- Top Activities: Scuba diving, snorkeling, and other water sports, plus visiting Mayan ruins, cenotes and aquatic theme parks.
- Keep in Mind: With few towns to explore, visitors either stay put at their hotel or engage in excursions.
- Getting There: Fly into Cancun Airport, forty-five minutes from town.
A Classic Luxury getaway: Los Cabos
Mexico’s stunning Baja Peninsula, once prized for its fishing by the likes of Ernest Hemingway, now draws Hollywood A-listers with its extraordinary resorts and relaxed atmosphere, which encourages lounging and pampering.
- What Makes It Unique: Top-notch service.
- Where to Stay: Villa Pacific West, Piedra Blanca, Casa Tita, …
- Top Activities: Deep-sea fishing, whale watching (December–March), ATV excursions, golf, tennis.
- Keep in Mind: Most beaches in Cabo are not swimmable, so guests have to relax poolside.
- Getting There: Fly into Los Cabos International Airport, a 30-minute drive from most properties.
Contact Haute Retreats to plan a trip to a Mexican beach resort. Our trip designers can match you with the right hotel, plan great meals and special activities like private dinners and boat charters.